Friday, March 11, 2011

Chiapas trip! Palenque

Well, looks like I've been slacking on staying up to date on here! So last Thursday-Tuesday my group went on a trip to the state of Chiapas. And let's be honest- no one knows where that is. So here's a map:

For this trip, I honestly just heard air-conditioned hotels and that was enough to get me out of bed at 3:30am and to stumble onto a bus with my gringo buddies. After some half-sleep and hours of "If you're going to San Francisco" on repeat, I woke up to pretty green hills! Merida is great, but there really isn't much for scenery. 





First we went to Mayan ruins in the city of Palenque. Absolutely beautiful! 
< The view from the top of one of the structures.












Me on one of the structures (peace!). Love all the trees and vegetation!!





During the whole time we were there, local (adorable) children about 7 or 8 years old were trying to sell us "signos"- our Mayan astrological sign. So of course I bought one (they cost the equivalent of about 1 dollar). I never know if buying from children helps or exacerbates the situation....




< Kaitlan and I- in the shade!!- wearing our signos :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment