Thursday, March 31, 2011

Holbox

A few weeks ago, I spent the weekend in Holbox (on the northeast part of the peninsula) with some friends.

We signed up for a tour, but like many things in Mexico, we didn't know what to expect or really any details at all. We just knew that a bus would pick us up at midnight and we would get there at about 6am. After hours of not much sleep, we arrived at a port town where we took a boat to a tiny island (Isla Pajaros) which also serves a wildlife reserve for birds that migrate from Canada and the U.S. for the winter. In my 7am haze, I saw all kinds of unique birds, which was pretty neat.



A couple pictures from Isla Pajaros:

















We made another stop at an "ojo de agua" which is a small body of fresh water and then went on to Holbox. We arrived at the hotel at about 10am. To be straightforward (as I usually am), for those family members who have heard the story of the notorious "gross-out inn" that my parents, mom's parents and aunts stayed at when they went on a trip years ago, this hotel topped that. I went into the room that I shared with my friend Allison, put my stuff down on the bed, and noticed that the pillowcase had a weird stain on it....then that it had hair all over it! Pulled back the top sheet, and found sand. Yup, clearly these sheets were not clean. So, I took the pillowcase off and used an extra shirt I had brought as a pillowcase, and slept on the spare blankets in the room. (Okay, there were also a few panicked texts to my mother between this realization and solution.)
Our group then headed over to the beach, which was really nice. We found an almost-empty area on the clean white sand and spread out our towels. Beautiful day and we didn't even have to be bothered by with a ridiculous amount of people trying to sell us things as is the case at the beach in Progreso.
The town itself is, not surprisingly, very small. Besides some restaurants, hotels, boutiques and a main square, there's some residences and not much else. So you definitely feel like you're cut off from the rest of the world a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment